[Gllug] scanner wanted

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Feb 1 14:18:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 01:49:19PM +0000, Caroline Ford wrote:
> On 01/02/2008, - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 1, 2008 11:35 AM, Kristian Erik Hermansen
> > <kristian.hermansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I would recommend HP over anything else.
> >
> > ... and I'd recommend Epson over anything else. I've stuck to their
> > SCSI models which have excellent quality, and work perfectly with
> > Linux, but I have no reason to doubt their USB ones will be any
> > different.
>
> My Epson USB thing worked out of the box.

Beware of the Epson  4490 - while it works, it requires that you get
a copy of their binary-only driver because the firmware has to be
uploaded from your computer each time it powers on :-( The higher end
4990 doesn't have this problem.

That said, the 4490 does produce pretty good results - and once you
have their binary driver installed, you're not forced to use their
lame iScan gui - you can use sane, or VueScan. The latter is not open
source, but really very good software giving you access to the full
range of hardware capabilities on the scanner that sane doesn't -it
even includes the Infrared cleaning if doing film scanning. It more
or less supports every USB scanner ever made, even under Linux.

Dan.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk