[Gllug] pc problem

Savvas, Panayotis panayotis.savvas at logicacmg.com
Thu Feb 7 10:24:47 UTC 2008

> You have probably done this already, but remove all hardware from the
> system that is not required to POST correctly.  That is, all expansion
> cards (except video of course), all hard drives / CD drives (be sure to
> disconnect power from them as well).  Then try to go in to the bios and
> see if that works.  If it doesn't, I would go buy a new power supply
> (returnable of course) and if that doesn't fix it try the RAM next.  If
> you machine will boot with only one stick of RAM and you have more than
> one, try them one at a time and see what happens (label each stick and
> record the original position of each stick of RAM for reference as you
> remove them).  If you only have one stick of RAM go buy a new one and
> see if that solves it.  Only thing left at that point is Video, CPU,
> and
> Motherboard.  Video should be easy to check, get a cheap video card or
> borrow one and replace it.  If you end up replacing the Motherboard or
> CPU you might as well buy both while you are at it.

Indeed I am pretty sure it is motherboard at this stage.
Great advice guys, but even a stripped out the same problem occurs.
The odd thing is that approx 1/20 tries gets me into the bios or booted to live CD.
Anyway it looks like I have the unhappy task of buying new hardware :)

Thanks for all the advice.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk