[Gllug] Booting live cd .iso images from grub

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Thu Feb 7 12:59:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 01:54 -0800, Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 1:46 AM, Justin Perreault <justinperreault at dl-jp.com> wrote:
> > The idea here is that as the live cd images get updated you can then
> > just put the new image on your drive test it and keep or get rid of it.
> > Of course you can also have a variety of images set up for various
> > purposes.
>
> Why not just use VirtualBox?

VirtualBox is being used by Linux Format this month to enable one to
more easily access the multitude of distros they have on the cover disk.
They have run into some snags where some ISO images would not play ball
with each other when making the disc multiboot and are using this as a
backup but they state that the 3D effects won't work. I am not big on
the 3D effects my self but this solution I am trying to track down might
take care of it as well as anything else that might be hampered in a
virtual machine.

One of the avenues I am hoping will open up with this is the ability to
use one of the distro's, ie PCLinuxOS, that will create a Live CD ISO
from the way you have your system currently set up. With this I hope to
make supporting friends and family easier. Instead of trying to have
them upgrade their system, I can play around in my own time setting up
what they need and sending them the new ISO when I am done.

Another I am looking at is a streamlined gaming platform. Set the
machine up to run one game to it's utmost ability and then store it and
share it.

There is probably a business model in here somewhere. :)

-Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk