[Gllug] OT: Acer Aspire LC 3002 problem

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Wed Feb 6 15:44:34 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I suspect this is more hardware than Linux related but as people on this
list are generally knowledgeable about both...

I have a donated Acer Aspire LC3002 laptop. It has a malfunctioning
keyboard which would - I am informed - require a new mainboard
(connector is broken) to fix. This is not the issue - USB keyboards work
fine. In any case I've been running it as a Debian-based server for my
home network for a week or so (using an ACPI script switches off the
screen when the lid is closed).

Two nights ago I wanted to change something in the BIOS so I shut it
down (it's hard to move while still plugged in) to move it. Upon reboot
I had forgotten to insert the USB keyboard and so missed the BIOS
prompt. At the GRUB screen I switched it off and inserted the keyboard.
On starting I got the BIOS prompt and pressed the F2 key - I got two
beeps and the screen went off with the power light flashing. Each time I
boot the screen stays off (not blanked) and the power light flashes.
I've removed combinations of the battery, the HDD, the RAM and tried
again and get the same each time.

It is acting like it is is some kind of suspend mode, the USB keyboard
is not being activated (no lights). Two days of Googling has brought me
general frustration and no solutions.

Any advice gladly accepted.
ta
Ryan