[Gllug] pc problem

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Feb 6 15:12:26 UTC 2008

You have probably done this already, but remove all hardware from the
system that is not required to POST correctly.  That is, all expansion
cards (except video of course), all hard drives / CD drives (be sure to
disconnect power from them as well).  Then try to go in to the bios and
see if that works.  If it doesn't, I would go buy a new power supply
(returnable of course) and if that doesn't fix it try the RAM next.  If
you machine will boot with only one stick of RAM and you have more than
one, try them one at a time and see what happens (label each stick and
record the original position of each stick of RAM for reference as you
remove them).  If you only have one stick of RAM go buy a new one and
see if that solves it.  Only thing left at that point is Video, CPU, and
Motherboard.  Video should be easy to check, get a cheap video card or
borrow one and replace it.  If you end up replacing the Motherboard or
CPU you might as well buy both while you are at it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk