[Gllug] How does grub number discs in mixed systems?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Feb 13 15:59:07 UTC 2008

Hello there,

Thanks for the response.  I'm now trying to install grub using a rescue
CD but it's still completely baffling me.

I've altered /boot/grub/menu.lst to reference the new drives and the
device.map correctly lists the two drives now in the system (/dev/sda
and /dev/sdb) but each time I try to install it fails with the following
error:

/dev/hdc1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive

which is understandable because the system no longer has a /dev/hdc1 but
I'm not asking it to do anything with that drive.  As far as I can see
I've removed all record of it.  It certainly isn't mentioned in menu.lst

Any idea where grub-install might be picking up the idea it needs to
access that device?

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk