[Gllug] Can I link GNU AGPL code with GPL 2 code?

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 13 15:58:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, February 13, 2008 16:21, Progga wrote:

> I am considering releasing one of the web applications that I work on
> under
> GNU AGPL v3.  This webapp depends on FCKEditor which is GPL, LGPL and MPL.
>
> Now http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html says:
>
> -----------------
> Please note that the GNU AGPL is not compatible with GPLv2. It is also
> technically not compatible with GPLv3 in a strict sense: you cannot take
> code released under the GNU AGPL and use it under the terms of GPLv3, or
> vice versa. However, you are allowed to combine separate modules or source
> files released under both of those licenses in a single project, which
> will provide many programmers with all the permission they need to make
> the programs they want. See section 13 of both licenses for details.
> -----------------
>
> So it looks like choosing GNU AGPL is not an option for me.  Or is it
> still
> possible?  All code in question are PHP and Javascript.
>

> Thanks,
> Progga
>
> --

Hi Progga,
first of all, no version of the GPL v3 is compatible with the GPL v2.
However, this is not generally a problem since most code is licensed under
the GPL v2 *or later*. Such code is compatible, since you can choose the
GPL v3 (or later).

Section 13 of the GPL v3 reads:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, you have permission
to link or combine any covered work with a work licensed under version 3
of the GNU Affero General Public License into a single combined work, and
to convey the resulting work. The terms of this License will continue to
apply to the part which is the covered work, but the special requirements
of the GNU Affero General Public License, section 13, concerning
interaction through a network will apply to the combination as such."

Therefore you can use GPL v2 or later code in your project, and the AGPL
will apply to the combined work as a whole.

The LGPL code should cause no problems, as it can be linked with any other
code.

The MPL code may or may not be problematic:

"    This is a free software license which is not a strong copyleft;
unlike the X11 license, it has some complex restrictions that make it
incompatible with the GNU GPL. That is, a module covered by the GPL and a
module covered by the MPL cannot legally be linked together. We urge you
not to use the MPL for this reason.

    However, MPL 1.1 has a provision (section 13) that allows a program
(or parts of it) to offer a choice of another license as well. If part
of a program allows the GNU GPL as an alternate choice, or any other
GPL-compatible license as an alternate choice, that part of the
program has a GPL-compatible license."

If the code is MPL 1.1 then you are OK to use it in your project.

Regards,
Gabriel.
http://lives.sf.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk