[Gllug] new mobile phone

Savvas, Panayotis panayotis.savvas at logicacmg.com
Thu Feb 7 10:45:07 UTC 2008

> Actually that's the other issue - I'm using Google maps in conjunction
> with the GPS on my device, and it has to go off to the web to grab the
> maps every time I use it, and given how distant some parts  of the
> motorway network are from civilisation I guess you'll also find there
> are areas where you can't look at the map because the phone can't find
> a strong enough signal to download the data...
I was under the impression you could pre-download maps.

> I know you're looking for a positive response, but I really think that
> using a phone, any phone, to replace a dashboard GPS device just isn't
> going to cut it with the technology where it is at the moment.
I am getting that idea :)
Although I don't see why not!! I mean my navigator is just TomTom software installed onto a PDA. And its every good as bit as a standalone TomTom. I am not talking about the device, which is not purpose built, but the software itself. Why this should apply to another brand of software on a phone I don't know. It's a shame if nokia haven't managed to pull this off.

I notice no-one is remarking on the sync (calendar/contacts etc) issues... is that because this will not currently work with Linux?

The must must must have features for me are connectivity(wifi/Bluetooth/3G etc) and synchronisation with a Linux pc. Any ideas other than the nokia? The additional benefit of loading sat nav software on is a bonus, as is internal GPS.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk