[Gllug] pc problem

Panos Savvas pasavvas.accounts at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 4 01:16:48 UTC 2008

Hard to diagnose this i guess:

I had a perfectly good linux install running. However I changed cases and
all has gone pear shaped.

All my partitions seem to have disappeared except /home.
I though never mind... lets re-install.. the important stuff is still safe.

So I removed the disk and used another pc to back up the /home partition.
Reconnected the drive and loaded the latest ubuntu live cd.
This loaded happily and I selected to boot into the live environment from
the first list of options
The ubuntu loading bar appeared but then all activity froze after about 2
minutes.
I rebooted the machine and attempted to enter the bios.

I get as far "prepare to enter bios" and no further. This is very odd and I
can't understand. I have rechecked wiring many times.
There is no new hardware (event the power supply is the same).

If you think hardware details might help I can list them off. I am thinking
it has something to do with the graphics card (not sure why, just a gut
feeling. hangs seem to happen whenever anything slightly more exciting than
black and white text is expected). However wouldn't this preclude any
monitor activity?

Even the live cd doesn't load anymore.

Any ideas on how to diagnose this would be appreciated. Although I don't
have any spare components to interchange with I might be able to borrow
something from friends.
Could it be something overheating? I have been building pc's for years and
am sure everything is correctly attached and cooling is adequate. But this
only partial disfunction feels like over heating.

Thanks all