[Gllug] new mobile phone

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Mon Feb 4 12:12:06 UTC 2008

Hi

James Roberts wrote:
> now only flattens the (new FOC) battery after 18 hours instead of 8. The
> GPS is useless as you have to have the keyboard open for it to work. The
> camera and video is superb quality, the audio dreadful, the software
> still unstable after multiple updates which were also useless, the radio

I can't speak for the 8gb version, but I have an original n95 and while
it's by no means perfect, it's easily the most capable phone I've used yet.

The battery life is poor compared to my k750, but I wasn't browsing the
web via wifi on the 750, so it's not a fair comparison.

The gps works with the keyboard closed if you have a good view of the
sky. The aerial for the GPS is indeed underneath the keyboard, so
angling that part of the phone up and out from you helps - I can record
GPS tracks just fine with it oriented that way in my jacket's breast
pocket. Also with the v20 firmware you get assisted GPS, which gets me a
lock in under a minute, vs the 5 minutes it used to take on the original
firmware release!

I'm not sure what the criticism of the radio was about - FM radios are
by and large very simple and they play the radio at you. Bam, that's
exactly what my n95 does, with the added bonus that it downloaded a
station listing from the tubes rather than bore me scanning through the
airwaves.

I don't particularly like the speakers in it, but the audio through my
headphones is fine.

I've had one or two crashes in the couple of months I've had it, which
is never good, but then for all I know it's the fault of third party
software I've installed.

I've not used any of Sony Ericsson's smartphones, but I'm generally
pretty impressed with the n95, mainly because of the huge variety of
connectivity options it gives you (GSM, GPRS, 3G, BT, WIFI, GPS, TV-OUT
mainly)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones