[Gllug] courier slow

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Thu Feb 21 15:23:16 UTC 2008

countd wrote:
  > Well, turns out it was half duplex. I've managed to change this and it
> _seems_ more responsive - I've no way to actually test this though.
> Many thanks! Now I need to work out how to make this change persistant
> under debian - or will it remain that way after the change in
> mii-tool?

Best to use ethtool imho, mii-tool is a bit old skool and more modern
network interfaces often won't respond to it. The converse may of course
be true if you use ancient hardware :D

Adding an 'up' command into /etc/network/interfaces is usually what's
required when autoneg fails; e.g.

iface eth0 inet static
   address 1.2.3.4
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   up ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 100 duplex full

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk