[Gllug] courier slow

countd countd42 at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 21 14:39:41 UTC 2008

On 2/20/08, Ian Northeast <ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> countd wrote:
> > I have an issue with courier-imap (4.1.1) on our local network. It is
> > working but it's incredibly slow, even smallish text messages can take
> > 5-6 seconds to show up in the mail client (Thunderbird) after clicking
> > - much slower than I'd expect, and messages with small (less than 1MB)
> > attachments take ages to download.
> >
> > Thing is, the server isn't exactly breaking sweat (load avg 0.02 at
> > one stage during testing, but the mail still slow), and the network
> > traffic is fairly low (30-300 KB/s on average), so my question really
> > is, what else could be causing this retardation?
> Have you checked that you havn't got a duplex setting conflict between
> your server and the switch it's plugged into? It's quite common for
> Cisco switches to be set to 100Mb/s full duplex no autonegotiation, if
> you then set your end to auto it drops to half and network throughput is
> dreadful. Check it with mii-tool or ethtool.

Well, turns out it was half duplex. I've managed to change this and it
_seems_ more responsive - I've no way to actually test this though.
Many thanks! Now I need to work out how to make this change persistant
under debian - or will it remain that way after the change in
mii-tool?
Best regards
countd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk