[Gllug] Wireless ADSL router suitable for IPv6 over IPv4

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Feb 24 11:22:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 06:10:38PM +0000, John Winters wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >   http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware
>
> I've spent some time studying that but it's incredibly difficult to use.
>    If you already have a piece of hardware and want to know whether it
> will work with OpenWRT (answer - no) then it's fine, but if you want to
> select something to buy it's pretty near impossible.
>
> I'm struggling to find *any* ADSL routers which don't have wireless
> built in now - and have yet to find a single one which is both
> purchasable and supported by OpenWRT.

I too have recently been wrestling with this table vs. routers that
are available to buy.

As far as I'm aware there are _no_ routers which are compatible with
OpenWRT and have wireless and ADSL built in.  All the advice I've had
is to get a separate ADSL modem which can be configured in bridge
mode, and then something like WL-500g Premium running OpenWRT.
Unfortunately this isn't a great deal of use to me because of the
power and space available where I need to place the router.  I'm not
too happy also that in this configuration the device facing the
internet would be running software out of my control (yes, I know
bridge mode is supposed to pass everything straight through, but that
doesn't stop the ADSL router having bugs or misfeatures like UPnP, and
is there any assurance that the router can bridge IPv6 properly?).

There is some hope that AR7 (http://wiki.openwrt.org/AR7Port) based
routers might one day be properly supported.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat