[Gllug] Wireless ADSL router suitable for IPv6 over IPv4

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Feb 23 18:10:38 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:29:02AM -0000, john at sinodun.org.uk wrote:
>> I'm looking for a Wireless ADSL router (preferably with 4 hard-wired ports
>> as well) which is capable of handling IPv6 over IPv4 traffic as well.  My
>> current Netgear one doesn't seem to be able to do it - you can open it up
>> to allow in TCP or UDP but nothing else.  AFAICS, IPv6 over IPv4 uses
>> protocol 41 and the Netgear has no option for that.  I've checked the
>> Netgear web site and I have the latest available firmware.
>>
>> Needless to say, sales-droids who even understand the question are rarer
>> than a very rare thing.  Short of buying a lot of ADSL routers and testing
>> them I can't think of another way of finding out.
>
> I'm not sure if any do ADSL + Wifi all in one, but if you're ok wtih
> separate boxes, get a wifi router which can be reflash to run OpenWRT
>
>    http://openwrt.org/
>
> I have the LinkSys  classic WRT 54GL, but there're many options

Unfortunately that doesn't address the problem.  The tricky part is
getting the IPv6-over-IPv4 traffic through the ADSL router - not the
conversion back into pure IPv6.  If I can't get the traffic off the ADSL
connection it doesn't matter how many OpenWRT boxes I have hiding behind
it.  I still need to find an ADSL router which will let the traffic in.

>   http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

I've spent some time studying that but it's incredibly difficult to use.
   If you already have a piece of hardware and want to know whether it
will work with OpenWRT (answer - no) then it's fine, but if you want to
select something to buy it's pretty near impossible.

I'm struggling to find *any* ADSL routers which don't have wireless
built in now - and have yet to find a single one which is both
purchasable and supported by OpenWRT.

I don't need an ADSL device which supports IPv6 - just one which won't
block the IPv6-over-IPv4 traffic.  Anyone any ideas?

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk