[Gllug] Can I link GNU AGPL code with GPL 2 code?

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Fri Feb 15 10:06:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 07:28 +0100, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> On Fri, February 15, 2008 01:44, Justin Perreault wrote:
> >> packages
> >>  So
> >> >

> >> The PHP license might be problematic. The FSF license page says:
> >>
> >>  PHP License, Version 3.01
> >>
> >>     This license is used by most of PHP4. It is a non-copyleft free
> >> software license. It is incompatible with the GNU GPL because it
> >> includes strong restrictions on the use of "PHP" in the name of
> >> derived products.
> >>
> >>     We recommend that you not use this license for anything except PHP
> >> add-ons.
> >
> > If it is not incorporating the packages but just linking to them
> > externally it is likely not an issue, but you would need to include both
> > licenses when distributing if you ship the packages with. Then each
> > license would be used applied to each part individually instead of on
> > both together. iirc
> >
> > -Justin
> >
> > --
> >

> No, linking counts as a combined work. That is why binary Nvidia drivers
> cannot be distributed with the Linux kernel, for example.
>
> There seems to be some discussion of this here:
> http://pear.php.net/manual/en/faq.devs.php
>
>From the link you provided:

What licenses are allowed in PEAR/PECL?
This hair splitting over linking, derivation and aggregation has been
going on since the beginning of time. My stance is that you can indeed
ship PHP licensed PEAR components on the same cd or in the same tarball
as GPL'ed code because I see it as an aggregate work. This changes if
you take PEAR code, modify it and copy-paste it directly into your own
work. Then it moves from aggregate to derived. But the intent of the
PEAR components is to be used in aggregate form. The PHP license allows
you to use it in derived form as well, of course, but then you should be
choosing a license other than the GPL for the derived work.
A bit further on from this the following link is provided:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

What is the difference between an “aggregate” and other kinds of
“modified versions”?

        An “aggregate” consists of a number of separate programs,
        distributed together on the same CD-ROM or other media. The GPL
        permits you to create and distribute an aggregate, even when the
        licenses of the other software are non-free or GPL-incompatible.
        The only condition is that you cannot release the aggregate
        under a license that prohibits users from exercising rights that
        the each program's individual license would grant them.

It seems true that the nvidia modules cannot be put into the kernel but
that is not the same as shipping them beside the kernel.

-Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk