[Gllug] Humax PVR and linux

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Wed Jan 16 22:18:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 18:57 +0000, John Winters wrote:
> I've been recommended the Topfield unit in preference to the Humax.

Got a toppy last year, but can't compare. However Topfield has had lots
and lots of "TAP" programs written for it by enthusiasts with skills,
there is linux software for transferring via usb - and it Just Works.
People have even totally re-written the default menu screens, which
aren't the most ergonomic in the world.

A lot of Oxford luggers have them and generally love them to bits. Only
thing missing is a network interface but apparently there is a little
"slug" one can get that can be hacked easily to run linux and ftp/nfs
serve to a network the topfield contents and load stuff onto the
topfield - one of the oxluggers in my village has this but I've not got
around to dropping by one evening to have a look see, but apparently
this makes it easy peasy for pulling stuff off for archiving.

So far we've just used a laptop with the usb link, all efforts to use a
freebie teensy and ancient little 300mhz "Patriot" computer smaller than
the VCR have failed to get a network driver working :-( As it would only
be turned on once or twice a month I thought this would make an
indefinite "reduce, reuse,recycle" role for an otherwise obsolete bit of
unexpandable equipment, but just too proprietary, can't even find
windows drivers for the network card onboard, no original software, and
no expansion slot :-( So will probably get a "slug" too sometime.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk