[Gllug] Humax PVR and linux

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Jan 17 17:14:33 UTC 2008

M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 18:57 +0000, John Winters wrote:
>> I've been recommended the Topfield unit in preference to the Humax.
>
> Got a toppy last year, but can't compare. However Topfield has had lots
> and lots of "TAP" programs written for it by enthusiasts with skills,
> there is linux software for transferring via usb - and it Just Works.
> People have even totally re-written the default menu screens, which
> aren't the most ergonomic in the world.
>
> A lot of Oxford luggers have them and generally love them to bits. Only
> thing missing is a network interface but apparently there is a little
> "slug" one can get that can be hacked easily to run linux and ftp/nfs
> serve to a network the topfield contents and load stuff onto the
> topfield - one of the oxluggers in my village has this but I've not got
> around to dropping by one evening to have a look see, but apparently
> this makes it easy peasy for pulling stuff off for archiving.

I've got a slug (NSLU2) but I would anticipate connecting the USB cable
from the Topfield box direct to my server (Thecus N2100) because the two
would be close enough together.

Do you know whether it's possible to wake the Topfield up by means of
the USB interface?  That is, if it's in standby mode because it
currently has nothing to record, can it still be accessed and programmed
by means of the USB interface, or do you have to manually wake it up
before things can be done?

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk