[Gllug] exim segfault puzzle

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Jan 5 12:41:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:29:35PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 09:55:37PM +0000, Richard wrote:
> >
> > It's not a very sensible option though, since the single conf file
> > still seems to be built out of the multiple small files.  I can't
> > quite work out when it's built from them, but it contains all the
> > comments / fragments from the small files.  In any case it's not a
> > true single configuration file because it's autogenerated with some
> > weird macro badness.
>
> The autogenerated file is placed in /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.
> If you create /etc/exim4/exim4.conf then the autogenerated file will be
> ignored.  Personally, I don't use the debian-generated configs on
> anything other than dumb satellites but the purpose of the autogenerated
> file is sound enough: to allow you to add in abitrary extra mail
> components (imap server etc.) without having to rewrite the main mail
> config.

Final proof that whoever maintains Debian exim4 is smoking something
very potent:

  If you decide to ignore this advice and to use this script anyway,
  setting the environment variable CONVERT4R4 to the value
  "I understand this is an unsupported tool"
  will allow you to run the script. If you find bugs, you get to keep
  the pieces. Please do not file bugs against this script in the Debian
  BTS without providing a patch fixing the bugs, and please do not
  expect the upstream exim-users mailing list to answer questions.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat