[Gllug] exim segfault puzzle

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sat Jan 5 13:29:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 12:41:03PM +0000, Richard wrote:

> Final proof that whoever maintains Debian exim4 is smoking something
> very potent:
>
>   If you decide to ignore this advice and to use this script anyway,
>   setting the environment variable CONVERT4R4 to the value
>   "I understand this is an unsupported tool"
>   will allow you to run the script. If you find bugs, you get to keep
>   the pieces. Please do not file bugs against this script in the Debian
>   BTS without providing a patch fixing the bugs, and please do not
>   expect the upstream exim-users mailing list to answer questions.
>
> Rich.

Failing to see your problem.  I assume this is referring to the script
that can convert an exim 3 config into an exim 4 config.  There are
three points raised in the text you quote:

  1.  You have to set an environment variable to make the script work.
  2.  They want patches included with any bug reports.
  3.  They don't want you to pester the main exim community about this
  script.

Working backwards...

  3.  Debian has added some complex customisations to the Exim 4
  package.  You don't have to use them at all, but if you do, talk to
  the Debian maintainers about it because the larger Exim community
  knows nothing about them and can't help you.  There is a
  pkg-exim4-users list set up precisely to avoid annoying the main
  exim-users list with Debian-specific questions and this is explained
  quite carefully in the exim4 documentation.  Can you explain what is
  the problem with talking to the people who actually created the
  customisations?  Or why you feel cheated in being asked not to bother
  people who don't know anything about them?

  2 and 1.  There is a Debian-supplied script that can convert an exim 3
  config into an exim 4 one.  The Debian maintainers do not think it is
  at all the best way to do this and having seen the results I agree;
  the end product will, in almost all cases, replicate the function of
  your old config but it will be an over-complex and poorly-structured
  Exim 4 set-up, very difficult to maintain if you ever need to modify
  or extend it.  You would be much better off learning how Exim 4 works
  and rewriting your config.  Having once provided this tool, the
  maintainers have not withdrawn it but they don't think it's a great
  idea and don't wish to spend much time on maintaining it or supporting
  it and they want the user to be very clear about this.  So if you
  insist on using it, all you have to do is set an environment variable
  and if you found a bug, they want you to fix it.

If you want to propose that the whole Debian-specific customisations
added to Exim 4 are crack-fuelled, that's a different argument and one
that has a fair number of supporters but given the existence of those
modifications, there is nothing wrong with the text you quote.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.