[Gllug] [OT] Was Purchase computer without OS - now Reboard 1U Servers

Paul Lee paul at ma1.se
Thu Jan 10 14:23:29 UTC 2008

countd wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 8:09 PM, Christopher Hunter
> <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> I bought a couple of machines from Transtec - one came with SuSe
>> installed, and the other was naked.  They are excellent machines, well
>> built, quiet, built to my requirements and at sensible prices.
>>
>> www.transtec.co.uk/
>
> Their mini-itx machines look really cool. Thanks to all who responded
> - I've certainly got lots to think about before pay day. :)

Hi

While we are on this hardware tack, I have a small stack of 1U servers
(chenbro cases) I was thinking of reboarding. The existing boards
processors are quite old, Pentium IV, or Celeron with a RAM limit in
some cases of no more than 1GB.

Anyone got any 1U m/b and cpu recommendations? I was tempted I think, by
one of the mini-itx with coreduo processor. I'm not looking for Dual
Xeon, or Dual Opteron as power/heat may be an issue.

Regards

Paul Lee
www.ma1.se
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk