[Gllug] Open Source for beginners

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Fri Jan 25 19:49:13 UTC 2008

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 25 Jan, paul wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 22:20 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>>

>>>    I am trying to convince the local council that they should provide help
>>> with OSS as well as M$. They provide a range of courses aimed to teach users
>>> how to use M$ mouse buttons, but little else. I do not care whether initial
>>> help is in the form of formal courses or simply help towards a user group,
>>> but if they can provide help for a commercial enterprise which ought to
>>> provide its own tuition from the fees charged, then they should do at least
>>> the same for FOSS.
>>>
>> Do you mean help or direct provision? The latter is less likely but
>>    Really either or even both. I think that both formal teaching and some
>> kind of computer club using FOSS could generate interest in the other. I
>> would be happy to set up a local user group, and I think there may be space
>> available in the Hanwell Community Centre, an old school that the locals
>> convinced the council should be retained, if the council are willing to
>> help. There are plenty of qualified users around, but I do not consider my
>> qualifications suitable for running more than a beginners course.

I can't see the council funding anything unless you can demonstrate some
local support. You could probably kick things off by
arranging to do a talk on FOSS in Ealing Library. Collect names of the
people who attend so that you can show the council that there is
interest in the area. Perhaps follow that up with an installfest.

Unfortunately I don't live in Hanwell any more, so I doubt I'll be able
to help much.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk