[Gllug] Just had an interesting call from Microsoft

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Jan 25 20:20:33 UTC 2008

tid wrote:
> On 25/01/2008, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
>> I just had a call from someone called Jim Duggan claiming to be from
>> Microsoft
>
> Part of an induction programme I used to give involved dealing with
> persistant salesdrones :
>
>  (1) Remove the telephone earpiece from your ear. If you can't hear
>       them, they can't communicate with you.
>  (2) Say "I'm going to stop you there. Thanks. Bye"
>  (3) Put the phone down.

I've simplified this further after trying various alternatives.
(Incidentally, the Telephone Preference Service is very effective at
reducing cold-calls.  I get really very few.)  Anyway the technique is
simple.  As soon as you establish that it's a sales call you simply hang
up - no comment, no apology, no interruption.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk