[Gllug] IP over SATA?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Jan 3 09:55:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 09:38 +0000, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after an extended hiatus in the workforce, I've got around to
> re-activating my GLLUG email feed... So, on with the question I've
> been dying to ask -
>
> Is IP over SATA a good idea?

Other way round - yes! iSCSI and ATA-over-Ethernet.

SATA just serialises the ATA protocol.
Maybe you could look at IP over SAS - but I'd say you would be getting
off three stops beyond Plaistow.

I think you might be referring to the physical layer for gigabit
ethernet.
The physical layer for gigE over optical fiber is FibreChannel.
(The physical layer over twisted pair copper is something different)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk