[Gllug] IP over SATA?

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Thu Jan 3 13:17:41 UTC 2008

On 03/01/2008, Christian Smith <csmith at thewrongchristian.org.uk> wrote:

> Probably not such a good idea. eSATA cable lengths are not great and
> controller and client are not peers, with the client only responding to
> commands from the controller (I may be wrong on this.)

I figured this could be the case. I skimmed the SATA spec, but I couldn't
understand it sufficiently to figure out what the implementation could/would
have in it.

What you may be thinking of is the encoding of the data over the physical
> layer is the same, namely 8b/10b encoding used by most new serial
> interfaces (including PCI-e) now that it's patent has expired.

I hadn't thought of that...

SCSI is inherently multi-master, allowing either end to initiate transfer.
> Plus, SCSI of it's day was significantly faster than the equivalent
> ethernet, so IP over SCSI made sense for high bandwidth, low latency
> links.
>
> SATA has less of an advantage over current ethernet, so IP over SATA would
> not be worth the effort even if it were possible.

Ok, so my suspicions were correct.

Thanks,

Richard