[Gllug] offsite backup services

James Holland holland.james at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 20:44:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2007-12-12 at 17:53 +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Ryan Cartwright wrote:
> > Based upon "find -mtime" estimates my server has about 12-14GB of
> > modified/new data to backup each day. Thus I could see myself going
> > above a typical hosting included bandwidth allowance (e.g. Bytemark's is
> > 100GB/month) and upping that would increase the cost.
>
> Get a copy of rdiff-backup and run it to some spare disk for a week or
> two - with the right settings that'll tell you the total size of changed
> files and the amount of data transferred.

I use rdiff-backup for most of my backups these days. In your case you
could use it to mirror your samba server to a machine in a remote London
office. I normally create the mirror first using rsync --partial

In the past I've used plain rsync and scripts based on:
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

You might also want to check out http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk