[Gllug] Oyster cards vulnerable?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sat Jan 26 11:08:53 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 09:38:16AM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> You've mentioned that before, but I can't stress how strongly I disagree
> with it. Empirical evidence appears to show exactly the opposite. With a
> paper ticket, you could walk through the barriers without breaking stride.
> With Oyster, you have to stop and wait for the card to be recognised. I'd
> say it takes 2-3 times as long to validate an Oyster card as it did for
> the old paper tickets. Watching people wave their Oyster card repeatedly
> over the reader in a vain attempt to get it to scan has become a daily
> ritual. For that reason alone, I'd rather go back to paper.

Is your regular station just full of the brain-damaged?  I just don't
see this happening.  I mostly see people firmly slapping the reader and
walking through, often without taking the card out of the wallet.
Throughput at my regular stations definitely improved.

I'm heppy to believe the technological implementation has stupid holes,
but the few people on this list who keep claiming that it slows down the
gates really just seem to be projecting their dislike of the technical
fuckup.

And while I'm sure the technical implementation is inferior, it's not
impressive that none of the people attacking it here seem to have done
any thorough research on it; it surely can't be too difficult to find
out the level of information that Nix reported - I found out a good
chunk of that with a few minutes simple googling.  Rants based on
newspaper headlines don't help the cause.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.