[Gllug] Oyster cards vulnerable?

Ivan Virgili ivnmad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 21:12:47 UTC 2008

Nix wrote:
> On 25 Jan 2008, Daniel P. Berrange outgrape:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 11:24:39PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
>>> There has to be some reason why paper tickets suddenly became so
>>> expensive.

> There was another very important reason: it hugely improves flow around
> ticket barriers if most people use Oyster, because it takes a fraction
> of the time to validate the card as it does to feed a ticket through.

I will give you another good reason... money !!
They cash in a lot of money in advance, put it in the bank and get paid
interests on it.

Oyster
Let's say you top it up £20. It could then take you any "indefinite"
length of time to spend that money (one week, one month, etc.).
In the meantime they have that money in their bank account and get paid
interests on it. If you multiply that for the number of Oyster cards
around, I am sure it makes millions of pounds.

Old tickets
You only buy the ticket for your journey the same day you are travelling.

--
Ivan Virgili
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk