[Gllug] Oyster cards vulnerable?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Jan 30 02:17:59 UTC 2008

On 26 Jan 2008, Ivan Virgili told this:
> Nix wrote:
>> There was another very important reason: it hugely improves flow around
>> ticket barriers if most people use Oyster, because it takes a fraction
>> of the time to validate the card as it does to feed a ticket through.
>
> I will give you another good reason... money !!
> They cash in a lot of money in advance, put it in the bank and get paid
> interests on it.

Well, sort of, only exactly the same benefit was available with season
tickets. The advantage here is that people can stick huge amounts onto
the card (if they're idiots, and some people are!)

> Old tickets
> You only buy the ticket for your journey the same day you are travelling.

Not true of season tickets for commuters, which are where most of the
money is made on any big-city public transport system. They're worse,
actually: you pay for something you *might not even use* because
the things are time-limited.

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
                                                   describes USENET
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk