[Gllug] Best soho office server option?

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Fri Jan 11 16:55:33 UTC 2008

Jason Clifford wrote:
> What is the best (and easiest to manage for someone with no sysadmin
> skills) soho office server option these days?
>
> I know of ClarkConnect which I have a copy of here and it looks like it
> will do the job but I'm interested to see if there are better options
> available - bonus points if it's Debian based.

I also can recommend SME-Server (was e-smith) it is CentOS based and the
only issue I have is that to enable remote ssh you have to allow root
logins(!). Well out of the box you do. You can of course fiddle with the
ssh config and put it right. ;o)

That said - pretty much anything that needs doing can be done via the
web interface and it all works pretty much seamlessly. I dispensed with
the built-in backup stuff and did my own scripts - mostly because that
way I could get it to mail me with problems.

HTH
Ryan
--
Ryan Cartwright