[Gllug] Open Source for beginners

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 09:29:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 21:36 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:

>  I do know a fair number of people in the L. B. Ealing area,
> and I have asked them to start pushing. I would also like to put posters in
> local libraries. I feel that once the ball starts rolling it will be
> difficult to stop. Unfortunately I am fighting a combination of almost total
> ignorance and indifference.

No change there, then!  My experience of getting Local Authorities to
even look at Open Source has been depressing.  Most have no idea at all
about it, and no interest in learning anything about it  A computer club
might be an approach, but again they're unlikely to provide facilities -
they'll probably demand money.

An American friend of mine trying to do the same as you was accused of
"Sedition and Communism" by his local council by suggesting that there
was any alternative to MS!

Interestingly, a Dutch relation of mine set up a Town Council sanctioned
computer club, promulgating FOSS.  The council themselves had migrated
to SuSe, and wanted facilities for their staff (and other interested
people) to be able to learn more about it.  It's a great success.

I'm frequently in Ealing, so if I can help with an installfest or
whatever, please ask.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk