[Gllug] TV tuner cards

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 09:45:28 UTC 2008

Hello,
   I have never managed to get any pci TV card to work under Linux, although
I know they work under M$. I often find that the card is listed in lspci but
not found when I attempt to configure it, and I am wondering whether it is a
Debian permissions problem. I have made myself member of the sound and video
groups, but not sure whether I should make myself member of any other
groups, (while wishing to restrict memberships where possible). I have tried
analogue tuners, DVB-T card with tuner, and DVB-T card with just a few chips
(Philips SAA7134/SAA7135HL), and no obvious tuner in a tin can. There appear
to be several packages related to the configuration and use of the cards,
and huge amounts of general documentation which has not yet helped me get
things working.
   I think that previous versions required some administrator configuration,
but found that when I tried to use dvbtune it seemed to be creating a device
structure in the users directory owned by root:root.
   I have not found a list of standard group definitions, and suggestions
for membership allocations, for the groups listed in /etc/group. Some appear
obvious, others less so.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk