[Gllug] Domain registration

Thu Jan 3 12:30:32 UTC 2008

Simon Wilcox wrote:
> David Damerell wrote:
>> With the demise of Black Cat, I'm wondering who's the preferred option
>> for domain registrations (without any hosting service). Ones that can
>> handle any RFC 822 compliant email address would be a plus (so, not
>> UKFSN). Any recommendations?
>
> I switched to Daily.co.uk and have been happy with their service.

Simon,

Thanks for this. However I took a look and noting their liberal use of
the marketing-speak "from" delved a bit further. Even on their
"more"/prices page I found that I had to dance about a bit to keep up
with their footwork.

If one is not a bulk trader, the initial price advertised, "From £3.99
per year" (global TLD) turns into a minimum of £6.99pa unless one
registers for more than five years (or >15 or >30 domain names).

Also (per David's original post) they seem to bundle basic hosting,
rather than be registration-only. Do you want "registration" or a
hosting bundle of some description as well, David?

The basic bundle on offer is a good thing for a simple boy like me, and
is probably a better (single-domain) price than I've been paying(!), but
chasing around ifs-buts-and-maybes to ascertain ACTUAL pricing always
puts me off (and makes me wonder what other ifs-buts... I may have
missed...)

Perhaps their marketing belies your actual experience on the ground, or
is it I who lacks a realistic overview of this market?
=dn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk