[Gllug] DVD video errors panic

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Fri Jan 18 11:21:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, January 18, 2008 11:08 am, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> When playing a DVD movie, if the system encounters a major error, the
> hardware gets into a 'panic' and will not release/recover for an
> extended period of time.

Timeouts in kernel code for these drivers are long. The typical minimal
timeout is 7 seconds, though one timeout in drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c is 50
minutes! (It's a write thing though).

I've just submitted a driver to the kernel for a proprietary cdrom device
and I could not see any simple way round the sort of problems you
encounter (eg if you take a disk out on mine, it repeatedly times out
severy 7 seconds trying to read a sector).

Others may have a different view but I think beyond trying 'sudo eject'
there might not be much you can do.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk