[Gllug] DVD video errors panic

Fri Jan 18 11:50:22 UTC 2008

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Fri, January 18, 2008 11:08 am, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
>> When playing a DVD movie, if the system encounters a major error, the
>> hardware gets into a 'panic' and will not release/recover for an
>> extended period of time.
>>
> Timeouts in kernel code for these drivers are long. The typical minimal
> timeout is 7 seconds, though one timeout in drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c is 50
> minutes! (It's a write thing though).
>
> I've just submitted a driver to the kernel for a proprietary cdrom device
> and I could not see any simple way round the sort of problems you
> encounter (eg if you take a disk out on mine, it repeatedly times out
> severy 7 seconds trying to read a sector).
>
> Others may have a different view but I think beyond trying 'sudo eject'
> there might not be much you can do.

I hadn't thought of a command line approach (er, um). I'll give it a go,
next time...

You're certainly further 'into' such things than I. However shouldn't
the control-behavior of the device be amended based upon which mode it
is in?
- one has cache-write issues (for example) when 'burning' but such is
irrelevant when 'reading', and in any case surely 'eject' should have
some override power like a mini-Linux shutdown TERM signal
- hey, I don't know what low-level commands a drive will accept, so...

Many thanks,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk