[Gllug] TV tuner cards

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 4 11:48:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 09:35:59PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 11:20:19AM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> > Only problem is does not seem to get a lock to the Crystal Palace
> > transmitter. To be honest, I suspect this is due to the aerial socket it
> > is connected to.
>
> (Sort of ...) on this subject, does anyone know of an affordable DVB-S
> card, compatible with Linux?  Last time I looked they were all
> distinctly expensive.  Satellite is the only kind of TV signal we can
> get in this house.

I am using a Hauppauge Nova-S pci card for a few years now, I am not sure
about the exact model but lspci is reporting it as:
 05:01.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
it is receiving BBC HD without problems (playback is a problem though)
so I think it should be able to handle freesat once it's launched this
spring. The lack of proper EPG (only now and next info is available since
Sky is using it's own format to transmit the weekly data) is a pain if you
want to schedule recordings in mythtv though.

Cheers,
Kostas Georgiou
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk