[Gllug] Oyster cards vulnerable?

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 09:38:16 UTC 2008

--------

Nix writes:

>There was another very important reason: it hugely improves flow around
>ticket barriers if most people use Oyster, because it takes a fraction
>of the time to validate the card as it does to feed a ticket through.
>(Normally about a fifth as long.)

You've mentioned that before, but I can't stress how strongly I disagree
with it. Empirical evidence appears to show exactly the opposite. With a
paper ticket, you could walk through the barriers without breaking stride.
With Oyster, you have to stop and wait for the card to be recognised. I'd
say it takes 2-3 times as long to validate an Oyster card as it did for
the old paper tickets. Watching people wave their Oyster card repeatedly
over the reader in a vain attempt to get it to scan has become a daily
ritual. For that reason alone, I'd rather go back to paper.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk