[Gllug] Vacancy: Linux Sysadmin, Desktop Sysadmin, MySQL DBA etc (LONDON)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Jul 9 07:35:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 06:59:52AM +0100, Greg wrote:
> Communities like GLLUG and L.pm attract good people, people who care
> about their technologies enough to read about them and also discuss
> them, so its a smart move by recruiters to target these communities.

When Linux User Groups first began to appear, Linux was an obscure hobby
with almost no commercial use.  As interest in Linux began to spread
(and as the OS matured a little), LUGs became great places to network as
they attracted a huge range of people from many different backgrounds
with very varied skill sets.  Now that Linux has become a mainstream
technology, with certifications and commercial support and the rest,
people do not need to join LUGs to find out about it and groups like
GLLUG risk fading back to mere hobbyist circles again (if this hasn't
already happened.)  I can't think of a better way to speed that along
than to be needlessly hostile to people offering jobs.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock