[Gllug] Vacancy: Linux Sysadmin, Desktop Sysadmin, MySQL DBA etc (LONDON)

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 08:14:23 UTC 2008

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> When Linux User Groups first began to appear, Linux was an obscure hobby
> with almost no commercial use.  As interest in Linux began to spread
> (and as the OS matured a little), LUGs became great places to network as
> they attracted a huge range of people from many different backgrounds
> with very varied skill sets.  Now that Linux has become a mainstream
> technology, with certifications and commercial support and the rest,
> people do not need to join LUGs to find out about it and groups like
> GLLUG risk fading back to mere hobbyist circles again (if this hasn't
> already happened.)  I can't think of a better way to speed that along
> than to be needlessly hostile to people offering jobs.

well said

While I welcome the shared knowledge regarding salary expectations - I
am completely bemused at the vitriol that always follows a job posting.

Anyone reading email is well practiced in the art of the delete key...

In theory a separate list sounds like a good idea - but I can't see
enough people subscribing to make it successful.

How about providing a page on the website with a form to post adverts from?

This could request info such as salary and location, queue the post for
approval, add appropriate subject lines, send it to the list (and maybe
display online too)

Then anyone who doesn't want job ads can filter them reliably

We could even charge for the posting

Moderated job ads seem to work OK on phplondon :

http://www.phplondon.org/wiki/Job_offers

- I got my current contract that way :-)

And as I'm suggesting work - I'm also volunteering for it :-)

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk