[Gllug] [OT] BT phone connections and ADSL

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 06:41:00 UTC 2008

On Wed 02 Jul, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Chris Bell wrote:
>

> > Should ADSL work together with a Sky box???
>
> Why not, it's just a modem dial up every now and again.  I had this
> working fine with TiVo in my last rented flat, although the adsl was
> limited to 1Mb/sec

   There should be no problem with any audio frequency modem if the ADSL is
isolated by a full BT specification filter at the BT termination, and the
ADSL (unfiltered) side is connected to the ADSL modem close to that
termination. I have a replacement half panel style of filter, and it has a
balanced 4-stage filter with physically large ferrite cores. A BT engineer
said "You will not have any problems with that", it is designed to carry the
full 4 REN load with a sharp cut-off between low and high frequency bands.
Many "ADSL Filters" are not physically large enough to contain that kind of
filter.

> I was waiting for personal correspondance before saying.  But it's
> between Pimlico and Victoria tube stations.

   That sounds like the relatively new blocks on the west side of Vauxhall
Bridge Road. I know someone with a single floor flat in one of the older
Peabody Estate blocks nearer to Horseferry Road. It has removable panels
covering a duct with all pipes and services between floors.
   Early phone systems rarely had an extension phone, although some used a
large wall-mounted bell separate from the phone. The bell box contained some
of the termination components.
   Wiring modifications for the newer parallel ringer system would match the
overall drsign, but the actual layout was up to the installation engineer.
All phones were connected across the incoming pair, extended as required,
and the termination components provided a ringer connection on one wire from
another pair.
   Additional phones may have been connected later, leaving the master
termination in its original position and feeding the ringer connection
backwards down the spare pair. All talk of filtering at the main termination
assumes that the termination is at the point where the incoming line joins
to a discrete local system, not somewhere in the middle of the local wiring.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk