[Gllug] [OT] BT phone connections and ADSL

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 00:39:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Chris Bell wrote:

> On Sat 28 Jun, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I've just bought a three level flat which doesn't appear to have a
> > master BT socket.  The only visible phone connection is a small
> > extension socket in the kitchen

> There must be a BT line termination somewhere, perhaps in one of the
> known sockets or in another socket hidden elsewhere, perhaps in a
> cupboard under the stairs.

The wires to the only socket I've found start out of reach above my
bathroom ceiling.  I've searched everwhere else, so my next best option
is to talk to the council who are the freeholders of my flat.

> > Now the problem.  I also need a phone socket for my TiVo and
> > possibly Sky+HD box upstairs in the lounge (30m of cable away).
>
> Should ADSL work together with a Sky box???

Why not, it's just a modem dial up every now and again.  I had this
working fine with TiVo in my last rented flat, although the adsl was
limited to 1Mb/sec

> > I'm willing to provide loads of free booze to anyone willing to come
> > and help on this one if I can avoid paying BT.
>
> You do not even give the approximate location.

I was waiting for personal correspondance before saying.  But it's
between Pimlico and Victoria tube stations.

Damion

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk