[Gllug] [OT] Appending 2.0 to nouns

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Wed Jul 9 23:20:07 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 09 July 2008, John Levin wrote:
> Off topic, but I know there are linguists on this list.

I'll put my head over the parapet for that!

> Is there a term for appending 2.0 to a noun?

Technically speaking, "2.0" is becoming/has become a suffix meaning what we
understand it to mean (improved, next generation, ...) The fact that it is
usually separated from the word it is affixed to is most likely due to its
origin (in version numbering, of course) and the fact that it's a number
rather than a word 'fragment'.

Although it has an adjectival effect, it cannot be an adjective since they
must preceed the noun in English. (The very few counter-examples - court
martial - are formalised phrases, usually enshrined in law.)

It's exactly the same process which has given us "-gate" and all the others
everyone complains about as debasing the language. Actually, it is this sort
of development which keeps the language alive and vibrant, innit.

> I feel this regrettable and widespread practice needs to be named.

Language 2.0?

Dylan

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk