[Gllug] Vacancy: MySQL DBA (London)

Vidar Hokstad vidar at aardvarkmedia.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 09:04:15 UTC 2008

On 9 Jul 2008, at 23:07, Tethys wrote:
> Sure you can. You're just choosing not to. If you can't give a
> specific figure, you can at least give some idea of salary range,
> as was mentioned in the followup to your earlier post. Is this
> a junior position offering 20-25K or a more senior role offering
> 60-80K? Why make potential candidates try and guess?

I find it annoying too, but on the other hand I've seen first hand
that in some cases it really makes no sense - I've interviewed for
positions where the original salary suggestion from the employer was
significantly below what I'd consider, but where the recruiter told me
after having seen my CV he thought they could push it up. Sure enough,
I've had offers in excess of 50% above the stated ranges twice after
negotiations (and on that point: I long ago stopped accepting a first
offer - if an employer really wants you they'll come back with more,
often more than once)

> As for claiming
> that the salary on offer is dependent on the candidate's current
> salary? What possible relevance does that have? Pay the going rate
> for the role and the level of experience. What someone is being paid
> for a different role at another company really has no bearing on the
> matter.

I agree with you, but at the same time it does have _some_ relevance:
It's a way for hiring managers to assess what others have thought
you're worth. As such, if they offer you something in the same
ballpark they feel more confident that they're not overpaying you.

But at the same time people should keep in mind that it's a
negotiating tool, and whether or not you tell them your salary it will
often be used as a negotiating tool if you don't accept their first
offer ("Why do you think you're worth so much more? And how come you
were unable to convince your current manager to give you a raise if
it's really what you're worth?")

Vidar

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk