[Gllug] Guardian says Firefox is rubbish

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Sun Jul 6 23:32:43 UTC 2008

Peter Childs wrote:
> 1. You can only run it once at a time,

Add -no-remote to your shortcut and you can run it as many times as you
have profiles.  Though I'm not sure what benefit you're after here?  The
default behaviour for both Opera and Konqueror browsers (on my box
anyway) is to open a new window in the existing process, just the same
as what Firefox does.

> 2. If your machine get switched off or firefox is not closed
> "correctly" firefox will not start again with out removing some very
> difficult to find lock files.

While I'll accept this is possible I've never had it happen to me.
Power cuts, machine crashes, flash or java inspired hangs and Firefox
always asks if I want to restore the previous session.

> 4. Its written in probably the worst scripting language ever invented,
> If it was pure Javascript it would be better.

The only scripting language used in the browser is Javascript, the
compiled parts are in C++ and most of the UI is in the declarative XUL.
  What is this other scripting language?

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk