[Gllug] Anyone using OpenOffice.org 2.4.0 or 2.4.1 on Linux but not Debian?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Jul 6 20:19:54 UTC 2008

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 07:02:25PM +0100, John wrote:
>> I've come across a very odd problem with Debian's build of the
>> spell-check component of OpenOffice.org (and incidentally
>> Firefox/Iceweasel).
>>
>> If you install and use the dictionaries from myspell-en-gb on Debian
>> Lenny then all sorts of really common words are rejected as invalid in
>> both OpenOffice.org and Iceweasel (and indeed, in Thunderbird/Icedove -
>> the word "rejected" is underlined in red as I type this).
>
> Well, if you do it this might happen but that's what I'm running and I
> have no such problems with mysql-en-gb.

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose fingers are so conditioned that I
type mysql when I mean to type myspell.

> Have you tried a fresh install on some other system for comparison?

Yes.  I did a fresh install of Lenny in a VirtualBox virtual machine and
it exhibits exactly the same problem.  I'm also not the first to report
it on bugs.debian.org, although the maintainer just came back with a
supercilious response so I'm not too hopeful there.

I can also get the problem demonstrated from the command line with hunspell.

john at liberty:~$ hunspell
Hunspell 1.2.4
rejected
& rejected 5 0: dejected, rejection, reject, redirected, recollected

entertained
& entertained 5 0: entertainned, entertain, enteritides, intertwined,
certainest

john at liberty:~$

Note that it's not only rejecting real words, it's suggesting words
which don't exist.

I suspect it might be something to do with locales.  What locales do you
have generated and configured as default?  My system has the following
generated:

en_GB ISO-8859-1
en_GB.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8