[Gllug] Debian: vserver vs openvz

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Tue Jul 29 13:22:44 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:52:14PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
>> I think the real question is which (if any) of these projects will be
>> first to end up with all their patches in the main Linux kernel.
>
> They're both collaborating on getting containers support into the
> kernel so they can co-exist.
>
> I've used neither OpeNVZ of VServer, but there was a rather striking
> presentation at OLS  - in the tests performed VServer was the top
> performer across the board and OpenVZ had a very bad showing.
>
> http://ols.fedoraproject.org/OLS/Reprints-2008/camargos-reprint.pdf

Ah, I came across this link. I think there were some issues with the
particular release of OpenVZ they used (based on forum postings). Also,
it seems to have more restrictive defaults for a new VM. With my
testing, I was seeing vserver with ~ 10% gain, although that was in a
cpu+network limited scenario with no real tuning to either setup.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk