[Gllug] Debian: vserver vs openvz

Vidar Hokstad vidar at aardvarkmedia.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 13:27:45 UTC 2008

On 29 Jul 2008, at 13:09, Richard Huxton wrote:

> Since we're on the topic of virtualisation, does anyone have any
> experience of these?

We're hosting several major customers in OpenVz containers, and it
works very well. We'll be transitioning our entire environment into
containers over time, including relatively high traffic client sites
like Square Meal, as it makes the entire environment a lot more
flexible (in terms of minimizing the need for overcapacity, or
handling failing hardware without downtime for example). I'm just now
actually configuring more servers for a new major customer, and on
those everything will be running in OpenVz containers. So far so good
- we've had no major problems with it.

I've not tested Vserver.

--
Vidar Hokstad