[Gllug] Creating a new password file on an NFS mounted root system

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sun Jul 13 17:02:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 05:57:30PM +0100, Adrian wrote:
> Can I just copy the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files off some other
> system (where the passwords are known), or is there some other way of
> doing this?

As root, chroot to the mounted filesystem.  Then use the passwd utility
to change the root password.  That'll use the binaries and files on the
mounted filesystem and guarantee no bookkeeping is left undone.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin