[Gllug] Creating a new password file on an NFS mounted root system

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sun Jul 13 19:00:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 17:57 +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> Can I just copy the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files off some other
> system (where the passwords are known), or is there some other way of
> doing this?

I do this sort of thing quite a lot (you have to clone systems when
building big clusters! (*) ). Just copy over the /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow files

Bruce is correct, and I won't argue with him. However, if you are using
the same distribution then the encryption method will be the same.

(*) A colleague of mine did an extreme bit of network-fu last week, and
cloned several systems using dd over the network via netcat. I think
even Bruce would be impressed.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk