[Gllug] Debian: vserver vs openvz

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Tue Jul 29 12:09:56 UTC 2008

Since we're on the topic of virtualisation, does anyone have any
experience of these? I'm looking at one or t'other for half-a-dozen VMs
on a small web/app server.

Background for those not familiar with the projects, and a summary of
what I've found from trawling the web:

The linux-vserver and openvz projects are both "operating-system level"
virtualisation (i.e. they're not, really). They isolate groups of
processes into a security context running on a single O.S. kernel -
similar to BSD's jail system or Solaris' zones. In addition, your
processes get chrooted so they have their own directory structure. You
can then load whatever packages you like into each container/vm. Typical
uses would be for webhosting companies, or if you want to run php4 and
php5 inside apache, or run perl 5.8 and perl 5.10, or compare and
contrast different smtp servers. There tend to be limitations on running
things like firewalls or other low-level apps on the VMs.

OpenVZ is the free portion of the virtuozzo system from Parallels. There
are downloadable pre-patched kernels available from the project website.
Documentation seems good. As with any single-company project there's the
possibility that they abandon the open-source portion and it will take
time for someone to pick it up.

The Linux-Vserver project has been around for years, distributes the
actual kernel patches from their site. As it happens though, Debian have
it available via apt. Documentation seems OK, but is disorganised. As
with any small community project, developer-time might dry up if paying
work leads elsewhere.

Both projects seem to have reasonably active mailing lists and as far as
the user-space tools are concerned seem to operate in similar ways.

With OpenVZ you need to set up NAT and forwarding to the VMs, whereas
vserver does something automagical behind the scenes. The automagical
approach does mean you need to be careful about e.g. apache listening on
all interfaces and preventing your VMs starting up properly.

OpenVZ has a "live migration" feature, but I haven't tried that.

Vserver has a "hashify" tool to replace duplicated libraries etc. with
hard-links. This reduces disk-space requirements and presumably should
reduce load on disk-cache and buffers too. Disk space is cheap, but
using RAM more efficiently is always useful. There is a similar feature
in the paid-for Virtuozzo but not OpenVZ.

In the small web-test I ran, vserver was slightly ahead on performance,
but I've not got any experience tuning either. Both seemed to be pretty
close to full host performance, and coped fine with running 10
concurrent apache+php VMs under load.

If I were going by blog-coverage or didn't run Debian, I'd probably go
for OpenVZ. Since the vserver-patched kernel is available from Debian
though, I'm leaning towards that at present. Anyone with real experience
  out there though?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd