[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support for Unit.tv

Vidar Hokstad vidar at aardvarkmedia.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 12:19:06 UTC 2008

On 4 Jul 2008, at 10:53, Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 10:09 +0100, Paul Lee wrote:
>> I've seen a marked increase in for example Polish staff (as in the
>> building and construction industry). Don't get me wrong, these people
>> are very able and hard working in many cases, but they are
>> undoubtedly
>> being exploited by UK employers and are undercutting many UK based
>> candidates.
>
> I know lots of Polish people who work here. They are all earning
> normal
> market rates (considerably more than I am paying). None of them are
> stupid and none of them would work for less than anyone else in the
> same
> job.

I have to agree with you - where I work more than half the staff is
from outside the UK (me included), but we've never looked for staff
based on nationality, nor are they paid differently. The reason we've
ended up with a very diverse staff is that when we've looked for
people there have been more candidates from outside the UK than from
within on the market.

The Polish people looking for jobs here aren't stupid (or we wouldn't
hire them...). They quickly find out what their going rate is here,
and while I'm sure the odd person will be tricked into taking low paid
jobs at some companies, I doubt that will keep happening very long.

>> These are the downsides of globalisation, yes we get cheap goods from
>> China , but we also have the destruction of professions and the
>> middle
>> classes with more or less every "career" reduced to a casual, "burger
>> flipping" level of existence.
>
> Really? I don't see that in any genuinely professional career.

Having outsourced in the past, here's what I always tell people when
this comes up:

Salaries for qualified candidates from "low cost" countries are rising
so fast that any "destruction" happening will stop very quickly, and
the net result on the contrary will soon be a reversal. Why?

Well, when I was at Yahoo I had team members from the Yahoo office in
Bangalore reporting to me. We had a nightmare keeping them, because
salaries were rising so fast there due to lack of people that people
saw fit to move jobs every 6 months to negotiate raises. The _average_
increase at that point in time (2003-2005) was 15-20% for many types
of IT/software related positions. At that point, to get a reasonable
developer we ended up paying around $15k-$20k/year. A comparable
developer in rural parts of the US would have cost us $40k or so at
the same time, or $80-90k in Silicon Valley.

Despite that salary difference, several of the candidates we got were
actually people moving back to India from Silicon Valley because their
standard of living in Bangalore at $20k was better than in Silicon
Valley at $80k-$90k.

Those salaries have continued to rise far above the rate at which they
have been increasing in Europe and in the US.

For the last two years I worked at a company who outsourced to China.
PHP developers in Beijing are now at least as expensive as developers
in India were three years ago, and are as hard to retain as developers
in India were then. Indian companies are now increasingly outsourcing
to China, Ukraine, Russia and even African countries to retain their
margins. But in Beijing the market is more or less dry already,
despite a huge influx from elsewhere in China - there are _lots_ of
qualified people, but the local businesses are picking up all the
people they can get. Last year we paid typically around $100k/year in
Silicon Valley, and $20k-$25k for developers in Beijing. Even at that
rate it was hard to avoid people from resigning before they'd even
started the job because they'd found better offers, or just found
somewhere closer to where they lived. This is for people who hardly
speak English - the ones that do are rare finds.

As with India, people have started moving back from the US - the two
guys who ran the company that handled the staff we had in China were
graduates from top US universities who'd given up high paid jobs in
Silicon Valley to move back. When we saw the standard of living they
got in Beijing, we quickly understood why.

With situations like that in their home countries, you're not going to
see an ongoing flood from these countries to the UK, US or elsewhere,
and the ones that do come are certainly not going to put up with lower
salaries.

Poland is in much the same situation - salaries in high demand sectors
are going up at a much faster pace than in the UK.

Vidar

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk